Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Goodbye, Oriental City (my last visit)



It's not closing until June 1st, but this was probably the last time I would ever see Oriental City.

Even though there are still a few weeks of trading left, there was an unmistakable air of 'the end is nigh' about the place. The mall seemed grubby and in need of renovation. There was more graffiti than usual and generally the place was in a bit of a state. However, I can confirm that standard of the food in China City and in the food court was as good as ever.

Discount signs were all over the place but how true they were I'm not sure. I wouldn't recommend going there to bargain hunt (not until the very last days of trading anyway).

One shop had a sign saying that it was going to move to the new Wing Yip 'superstore' opening further south on Edgware Road. I wonder if a lot of the OC businesses will be relocating there?

Sorry for the low quality of the photographs, they were taken on a camera phone.

Goodbye, Oriental City.
























Related: The bbc blog's coverage of Oriental City

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. These are the things I would like to see in this blog.

Madam Miaow said...

Great pix. Thanks for the reminder to have my last visit. How was the ceramics shop looking? I will totally miss that shop - most of my crockery comes from there!

Alex Chung said...

I don't know if it's still around, but this reminds me of a malaysian restaurant in London called Kam Tong. www.kam-tong.co.uk -- Not sure if it's still around? Dim Sum etc...