Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Anti-racism campaign... or someone's idea of a joke?


Perhaps inspired by the recent Celebrity Big Brother controversy, The Sun ran a front page anti-racism campaign yesterday.

I don't know about you but I didn't really see the point of this. If kids are racially abused it's usually by other kids, and they don't normally read The Sun. Racism from adults is, if anything, less commonly directed against children.

It would have been more appropriate for the newspaper to tackle possible racism amongst its adult readership - a much harder issue to deal with head on.

And in any case, a photo of those same children all holding up signs saying 'British' would have gotten the message across better, I think (they did have a photo like that but it was inside the paper, not on the front page)

Rather than a positive anti-racism message, the impression I got was this was some kind of joke.

Article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog :)